“I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.”

-Jimmy Dean

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mothers' Day

Mothers' day is perhaps one of the most looked-forward-to days of the year for most mothers. I don't blame them for this, either. Receiving breakfast in bed, constant pampering throughout the day - they get it all. I suppose if I were a mother (hypothetical) I would want at least one day a year to get something back for all the effort I put in to cooking, cleaning, discipling, scolding... Anyway, I would want something back for all of the effort I put into looking after children. I suppose that the majority of mums would agree with me here. Mother's day is an institution - one day to make up for the rest of the year, one day to tell our mums how much we love them, even though we should do this every day.

One thing I don't understand is how much husbands get involved in Mothers' day. It is, after all, Mothers' day, not wives' day. We children should become more involved. We should be more up-pace, we should take that piece of toast out of our father's hand, we should help with setting the table. I think that Mothers' day today is less about the mothers from the point of view of the children, but more so a day of make-up from the husband and children about all of the bad things done throughout the year.

Mothers' day should be a day to give a little bit back to mothers: do the cooking and cleaning, the washing, the chores around the house, and also to thank our mums for doing these things every other day of the year. I think that this should be the essence of Mothers' day.

No comments:

Post a Comment