“I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.”

-Jimmy Dean

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Is emotion a Way of Knowing?

Once when I was thinking recently (as I do this quite a bit), I came up with the question of whether Emotion is its own Way of Knowing. I thought, emotions are just responses appropriate to a certain number of logical circumstances. I thought this because I considered a number of situations, and found that the emotions in all of the situations are directly influenced by events happening, and logic because of it. 


For example, if someone's dog died, they would feel sadness, as the circumstances are those that would encourage a negative emotional response (logic says: my dog died, I must have to feel sad). Another example, at childbirth, when a baby is born logic says "there is a new child, and it will grow up to produce offspring and be happy", so a feeling of happiness is created because of this situation. Logic and Reason play a key role in emotions and the different situations in which different emotions are enforced, and perhaps so much that emotions may not be able to be enforced without any logical backing.


Some may argue that emotions cannot be spawned or created by logic alone, and that is true, but a Way of Knowing is a separate technique that someone can use to 'know' something. I believe that emotion is not a way of knowing, because it is not a separate technique, and instead relies on logic to determine what emotion is felt.


Either way, it is still part of my curriculum to learn Emotion as a Way of Knowing, and nothing can change that, but it is quite thought-provoking whether it is a Way of Knowing, or just a construct of logic.

No comments:

Post a Comment